THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 02:58:56 EDT
In a message dated 8/22/2007 9:33:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I  have an appointment with an endo (a new doctor) on Tuesday, who I'm sure
will order additional bloodwork.   Any thoughts??    I've been doing some
reading
about Hashimoto's (my aunt and grandmother  both had this).   Can a person
have Graves and then progress to  Hashimoto's?? >>>>>>
Actually, both Graves and Hashimoto's are both Autoimmune Diseases; and the
overlap is probably more common than the isolation.   <<<<<<

The thing about Hashimoto that
got me thinking along this line was a  description that said in early stages,
the thyroid function can swing back  and forth from hyper to hypo before
settling
into a hypothyroid  state.   That almost seems what my body is doing (it
certainly  feels that way!) >>>>>>
While anything is possible, my bet would be that you are Hypothyroid. In  all
likelihood, your thyroid was largely destroyed, and the remainder of  the
gland is failing.

(Also, it seems that, too often, the Standard of Practice care  for Graves,
in the USA, is to give radio iodine; and let the person languor in
Hypothyroidism forever.)

 When the T3 in your blood gets too low, Deiodinase Enzymes (the  proteins
that convert T4 into T3) in the brain and heart get activated inside  those
cells.

So, you can get HIGH T3 inside the brain, because you are LOW on T3 in the
blood. So, you really might feel like you were "Hyper" again.   Insomnia which
is seen in Hyperthyroidism, is also seen in Hypothyroidism, and  even frank
Manic symptoms have been reported.

That is probably how Hypothyroidism can cause Atrial Fibrillation in the
heart, and this is normally associated with High Thyroid function.  <<<<

Does that make any sense??   Are there definitive
tests to  diagnose this?? >>>>>
More than more blood tests, you need someone who will take a good history  of
your signs and symptoms and examine you. If blood test were a good substitute
 for brains, you Pentium could do better Medicine than any doc alive.

A prayer that you get what you need to get well.

Doc Don

(AKA D. Michael, MD, PC)

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.