THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"David Brown (dbrown)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 14:35:32 -0500
Ballew and Nancy:

Thank you for your helpful response to my request for information.

As for other symptoms -- very few.  I am 63 and have the normal hair loss (actually a bit less) for my family.  My hair is still mostly non-grey, no dry or thin skin or any of those things.  I do a lot of physical work -- mostly hand mowing my yard (which is huge), garden, yard work, and when the weather does not allow that, then I have a stationary bicycle.  I do not believe that I get fatigued any more than normal.  No weight gain -- I lost about 25 pounds a few years ago to beat a high blood pressure problem.  So really, other than the TSH, no obvious symptoms.

I will say that I have a good strong belt of coffee most mornings and I feel really good after that, so I have not forgotten what it feel like to feel good ... not that I don't feel good at other times -- just not quite as good.

A couple of questions if you don't mind (please, anyone, join in) ...

*
	Why would I need to understand my T3 and T4 levels?  would this in any way change the treatment?
*
	Is a TSH of 5.9 really that bad?  (This used to be at the upper edge of the normal range.)  How high have you seen it in severe cases?

I have some questions on the Iodine and Solenium supplements as well, but will cover those in a future post.  I don't want to just tread water for three months and get the same results.  I would like to try SOMETHING -- obvious whatever has the greatest potential.  I am not at all suffering (as far as I can tell), and so some type of life long treatment is just not very appealing to me.  Other than vitamins and baby aspirin, I am not on any medication.

Thanks -- dave