THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Holly Jagger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:49:41 -0500
Posting here, because some may also have thyroid/adrenal failure and have
some of the same problems I must manage~ please let me know what you think.
I have Addison's Disease, and take replacement steroids for that condition.
Zero adrenal function.  I also have mild hypothyroidism.

After endo visit, and getting some input, I am thinking through the
tachycardia episodes of this past year.  And the difficulties with tapering.
Very important for me to avoid this problem, due to mitral valve
regurgitation, and also antiphospholipid antibodies (clot risk!).

I am ALSO finding in trolling the literature, that conversion of T4 to T3
will increase the T3 in adrenal insufficiency.

QUESTION--> Could my heart racing episodes during MILD adrenal
insufficiency, be due to T3 rise-- EVEN BEFORE tachycardia due to too low
steroids?  Resting pulse up over 108 is always my first sign of impending
crisis.

IS it important to distinguish?  Perhaps, in developing a plan to avoid this
problem.

I'm going to try this next time I have to raise thyroid or lower steroid
doses.  Then reassess and adapt the plan!
CURRENTLY taking 1.4 grain Armour every day, PLUS Synthroid 12.5 mcg MF and
6.25 mcg W and Sat.

PLAN-
	To avoid tachycardia when raising thyroid hormone-
1. Raise steroids a little.
2. Raise thyroid hormone.
3. Taper steroids back to previous replacement level over time.

PLAN-
	To avoid tachycardia during steroid taper--
1. Lower steroids by 2.5 mg. HC (0.5 mg. prednisone) every few days, down to
close to replacement level (i.e., down to dose where heart is just starting
to act up)
2. Lower Armour thyroid by about 1/4 grain, keeping Synthroid constant.
3. Continue tapering steroids by above amount, alternate days if needed,
staying at each level for two week intervals.
4. Reintroduce Armour when previous replacement level is attained and body
is stable.

Hoping this makes sense to fellow adrenal/thyroid hypofunction members~
ahh the complexities of life!
Holly

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!