THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2008 12:14:50 -0500
Hi Kelli and thyroid group,

This is an interesting topic.  I'd like to share my experience with
an alternative type of medical care! In 1996, I went to my
chiropractor and she assessed there was a problem with my thyroid
(hypothalamus, pituitary).  My complaints were constipation, back
pain and terrible insomnia.  My heart rate at that time was 60 at
most but I thought that might be from being a big exerciser.  Anyway,
she prescribed a high dose iodine supplement.  On my 2nd day of
taking it, I felt extremely anxious and ill and my heart rate was a
bit elevated.  My husband wisely suggested quitting the iodine (we
were on a backpacking trip at the time).  .........I felt somewhat better.

A short while later, my wise ob-gyn doc suggested that I get tested
for TSH and antibodies and found a TSH of 21 and antibodies around
2,000.  I did a bunch of reading and found out the iodine had
probably triggered my Hashimotos.  I was genetically predisposed to
have it and probably was deficient in iodine.  But getting that much
pushed me over the edge.

These days, as I've gotten older, I've had to lower my Armour
dose.  But I've also needed less by following certain advice on ways
to increase conversion of T4 to T3, the active thyroid such as taking
some iron to increase my ferritin level which had been low-ish,
selenium, adequate protein, generally improved diet, etc.  Food
allergies are a big issue for many of us with autoimmune
conditions.  I've been seeing an allergy doctor and have quit my most
allergic foods which happened to be milk, regular potatoes and chocolate.

Susan

At 06:49 PM 5/17/2008, you wrote:

>Has anyone tried any alternative medicines for Hashimoto's?
>
>What were the effects?
>
>Thanks,
>Kelli

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?SUBED1=thyroid&A=1>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]