THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 19:11:45 -0400
Hi everyone,

I just had a TT on June 22.  I had benign nodules on my thyroid which was irradiated 11 years ago
while being treated for Hodgkin's Disease.  I had about 7 doctors who all thought that after
watching the nodules for 2.5 years that the whole thyroid should go.

Since the surgery my hormone levels have been dropping and I've been trying to titrate onto
Synthroid with great difficulty.  My heart has been pounding nonstop and my pulse is very fast
(100-120).  I haven't slept much in a few nights because of this which makes becoming hypo even
more difficult and disturbing.

My endocrinologist wants to wait to raise my synthroid levels until she can get a holter monitor
done, an EKG and test other things such as testing my adrenals; however, I am starting to feel
more and more exhausted, achey, stiff and brain dead as time goes on.

I was diagnosed several years ago with orthostatic intolerance (heart rate would go up to 180 bpm
on standing) but reconditioned myself to the point that I was functional most of the time with my
pulse normal.  I am wondering if there is something wrong with my adrenals and that it is
connected to the palpitations I now have and my history of orthostatic intolerance.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience with palpitations getting on synthroid?  Is this
something that will go away as my body adjusts to the medication?  is it more likely to be my
adrenals or could there be another problem?  Do you think I could step up my medication at this
point so that I don't continue to become more and more hypo or would my palpitations get worse?

This is all so new and sudden for me.  I am supposed to start and new and highly demanding job
in less than 2 months and am concerned that things aren't going to get better by then.  All the
doctors reassured me that I would have plenty of time to straighten this out before I had to start
work, but I am quite unsure.

Sincerely,

Suzanne