THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2007 23:48:12 -0400
Hi David,

Yes, that condition of elevated TSH without any symptoms is called
Sub-clinical Hypothyroidism. Depending on what signs your Dr. detects--
some might trial treat it or not. As you have noted that you feel as normal
as can be-- then, I assume your Dr. and you are on the logical track to
"wait and see". But, on the other hand, it is not only thyroid symptoms
that manifests in one's system if ever there is such an insufficiency.
There are collateral symptoms for what the insufficiency produces like
insufficient circulation in other parts of the body-- in particular the
extremeties (cold hands and feet), some heart problems like coronary artery
disease, and, some diabetic symptoms. There could also be hypertension due
to shunting of circulation to the body's core to protect vital organs from
too much cold. These symptoms, while the person might still appear normal
when looked at from the "thyroid" point of view-- could actually be signs
already of damage from other systems affected by the thyroid. If I were in
that situation, I'd look at cholesterol levels, condition of the heart,
circulation assessment, hypertension, susceptibility to infections, lung
function. With these showing any positive signs-- I'd be concerned and look
for a Dr. who would address the problems from its roots-- the "thyroid".

Re Vitamins, minerals and trace elements-- Iodine, as we know it, is
required in the manufacture of Thyroid Hormones. Too much iodine inhibits
thyroid. Remember, Iodine is also used to treat acute hyperthyroid
conditions.Selenium in trace quantities is required as a catalyst in the
conversion of Thyroxine to the active T3.  If I remember it correctly--
there are 5 of these conversion systems in the body-- and, not all of them
require selenium. So, not required also to take mega dose of this.

If your health profile does not show any of the collateral symptoms-- then,
enjoy life as it is your doing now. Maybe nothing to worry about. But, if
there are, the earlier you take action the more enjoyable life would be.

Cheers,

Greg De Guzman