THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:58:17 EDT
In a message dated 6/11/2008 9:20:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Hi  there,
I am a mother of 11 children. One of my children has  Down syndrome
(DS). We have successfully been able to lower his  thyroid from 6.5
down to 3.3 by controlling his diet. My daughter  and I are in the
process of writing a book about DS - you can read  more about that
here -  http://www.gotdownsyndrome.net/Book/whatyoucandobook.html .
I  am writing today to ask about iodine and how much to take. Please
let me know what is an acceptable dose for someone that has a  goiter.

Thanks,
Kim
Got Down Syndrome
_www.gotdownsyndrome.net_ (http://www.gotdownsyndrome.net)    >>>>>>
Dear Kim,

It is of serious concern that you have a Hypothyroid child  whose illness is
not being treated effectively and promptly.  Hypothyroidism can cause serious
and permanent developmental retardation  in developing brains if it is allowed
to persist. A newborn without a  thyroid who is treated promptly will develop
into healthy, normal adult, without  a hitch.

If treatment is delayed as little is a matter of weeks, that child will
never develop normally and have residual mental difficulties for a  lifetime.

The older a child is, the longer that Golden Window of  Opportunity to treat
without long term residual retardation becomes, but  that window never becomes
unlimited. Hypothyroid children are ALWAYS at risk of  permanent brain damage
if treatment is not swift and effective.

When you say that you've "been able to lower his thyroid from 6.5   down to
3.3," it sounds like you are talking about the TSH (thyroid stimulating
hormone) blood test. The lab, in general, does a very poor job of evaluating the
thyroid function. The object of treating Hypothyroidism is the health of the
patient, not nice looking lab. While diet and lifestyle would be likely to work
well in a pristine world without constant assaults on the thyroid;
Fluoridation,  Chlorination, plastics, iodine deficiency, and countless other toxic
influences  make the use of some type of thyroid hormone necessary, much of the
time. Please  find a knowledgeable physician to work with in this venture.

If you have problems finding a good thyroid knowledgeable physician, you  may
want to take a look at: _http://thyroid.about.com/cs/doctors/a/topdocs.htm_
(http://thyroid.about.com/cs/doctors/a/topdocs.htm) .

While there is no way I can diagnose or treat online, your plan to include
supplemental iodine is a truly laudable one. A great book on the topic is
"Iodine:Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It"  by David  Brownstein, MD.
I concur with his recommendation of at least 12.5 mg a day.  (I take several
times this amount because if helps the body detox a host of  everyday
chemicals that we are being poisoned with.) This is far above what  the RDA is, but it
is about what the average person in Japan eats on a  daily basis.

This is about 2-4 drops of Lugol's Iodine solution (always dilute  in 4
ounces or more of liquid)  or 1 Iodoral tablet a day.

A prayer that you get what you need to help your loved one.

D. Michael, MD, PC

(AKA Doc Don)

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.