THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:08:59 +0800
Holly,

Nice to see u again here..

What you are trying to avoid is having having too much thyroid in the
bloodstream-- in such a way that it is you now trying to control the levels
instead of the pituitary. I have long followed what Dr. Barnes and Dr.
Alford were saying to start low and slow. Once you've reached a level where
symptoms are almost gone-- you can maintain that dose. Unless the gland is
all gone-- it's better to leave the pituitary do its control through the
loop. I used to take T3 and I do it once in the morning only. The half life
is something like hrs. and this fits more to our daily rhythm.

Here's what I have found in all these years..
1> Some of our symptoms are hypo and some are not.
2> Most others are related to faulty carbohydrate metabolism. Early on this
is an evolving glucose intolerance caused by too much insulin which is
overall caused by lifestyle and diet.
3>A lot of common symptoms between too much insulin, thyroid deficiency, AND
thyroid overload. In the presence of insensitivity to insulin there is post
meal rise in blood glucose and one feels sleepy and tired. Because body
cells have become insensitive to insulin, the body tries to secrete more,
but the cells remain starved. This pushes one to eat more. And the cycle
goes on and on in a day. This is easily demonstrable clinically. I believe
now they do insulin tests same time they do glucose tolerance test.
4> Sometimes it is just plain hyperinsulinemia without thyroid problems.
Don't we hear this often? Despite thyroid medication-- still complain about
symptoms. Oftentimes, complain about hypo and hyper symptoms!
5> This is common from age 40 but not uncommon below this age.

Friends, I have followed the above and I have helped myself out of this rut!
If you have Dr. Barnes' book "Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness", read
it over and over especially the part concerning carb metabolism. Dr.
Alford's paper "Low Metabolism or Hypothyroidism" helped a lot also in
educating myself. I control the insulin resistance with Metformin (in
consultation and ok by my Dr. of course). Otherwise, one may still reverse
the hyperinsulinemia by doing low-carb diet-- there are good books about
this. If one does not control this, it could lead to frank Type II Diabetes.

Hope this helps..

Greg

P.S.

Surely miss Skipper. He's quite fast to jump on this whenever questions
arise.