THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:23:35 EDT
Hi all.   Some questions for the group.   Any input would be appreciated.

3 years ago, after complications from surgery, I suddenly became hyperthyroid
with pretty severe and debilitating symptoms.   I was eventually diagnosed
with Graves, received radioactive iodine, and have been euthyroid and symptom
free ever since.   (I do have a few thyroid nodules which have been biopsied and
are being watched).

A few weeks ago, I began developing symptoms that seemed identical to some I
was experiencing during my extreme hyperthyroidism....horrible insomnia, and
debilitating anxiety....an incredible sense of doom smothers me...feel like I'm
dying...hard to fill my lungs completely...sometimes progressing into a full
blown panic attack.

I went to my primary care doctor (thinking I might be experiencing some
anxiety disorder).   While the symptoms certainly reminded me of the hyperthyroid
stage I went through....it didn't quite make sense in my mind, since over the
past month and a half, I've gained 10 lbs (for no apparent reason) and have
started to become constipated on occassion (something that NEVER happens to me).

Based on a check up and our conversation, he also felt it might be anxiety
but ordered a basic thyroid panel just to make sure.   I was shocked to find
that my TSH was out of the normal range...but HYPO not hyper.   My TSH (which was
2.3 back in 2/07) was up to 6.8.

I have an appointment with an endo (a new doctor) on Tuesday, who I'm sure
will order additional bloodwork.   Any thoughts??   I've been doing some reading
about Hashimoto's (my aunt and grandmother both had this).   Can a person
have Graves and then progress to Hashimoto's??   The thing about Hashimoto that
got me thinking along this line was a description that said in early stages,
the thyroid function can swing back and forth from hyper to hypo before settling
into a hypothyroid state.   That almost seems what my body is doing (it
certainly feels that way!)   Does that make any sense??   Are there definitive
tests to diagnose this??

Aside from wanting answers to enable me to get my quality of life back....I'm
supposed to have unrelated surgery soon, and the doctor (for obvious reasons)
will not consider administering anesthesia without something in writing from
the endo stating I am most definitely not in a hyperthyroid state.    Help me
understand some of this!!
Thanks,
Cheryl

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new