THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 09:20:32 -0400

>My question to anyone out there is that before I began the medication for=
>hypothyroidism I had very few symptoms but the thyroid seemed a bit
>enlarged so they took the tsh put me on levothroxin, once on the
>medication it seems that I just keep developing more and more symptoms,

1.  Thyroid medication doesn't have to be for life, and if you didn't need
it in the first place, stopping will put you back in the same place you
would be without meds.

Note in thyroidmanager.org, it states that 25% of Hashimoto's cases resolve
on their own.

Thyroid meds can shrink the thyroid (but studies show Armour is more likely
to do so.)  TSH is what enlarges it, and you are probably not on a TSH
suppressive dose.

2.  Iodine deficiency can cause thyroid enlargement.  Do you have adequate
sources of iodine?

3.  You're on a relatively low dose of a T4 only product.  The literature
for the product states that a low dose can actually create more symptoms.
Could that be what's happening? -

http://rxlist.com/cgi/generic/levothy_ad.htm
"Inadequate doses of levothyroxine sodium may produce or fail to resolve
symptoms of hypothyroidism. "

If the goal is to shrink the thyroid, you need to be on enough thyroid
medication to suppress TSH.  Again, Armour is more likely to shrink the
thyroid.

I recall a time when my thyroid dosage wasn't adequate I had troubles
swallowing without food getting stuck in my throat.  This is common with a
swollen thyroid, and once I increased my Armour from 2 grains to 3, this
stopped.  You need a high enough dosage to fix the problem.

Skipper