THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:49:46 EDT
In a message dated 3/12/2009 8:07:14 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Doc Don  -- how about gout?  >>>>>
In the doctors' section in "Solved: The Riddle of Illness" Dr. Langer, MD
says that Hypothyroidism causes elevated uric acid-the underlying pathology in
gout.

The University of Maryland Medical Center web site says, "Gout (maybe
related to hypothyroidism). Hypothyroidism and gout often coexist and may have
biologic mechanisms in common."

From personal experience and in retrospect, my brother became hypothyroid,
got gout, diabetes, and heart disease in a short period of time. I can't help
but believe that they are all related. <<<<<

  I am on synthroid; perhaps I should  increase the dosage?  >>>>>>

In spite of the relative safety of thyroid replacement  (David Derry once
said to me, "Don, you know how many people have died from  thyroid overdoses?
...Zero!!) I cannot urge you strongly enough to find a good  doc to work with
because:

1. On the off chance you have some coronary artery disease,  too abrupt an
increase in thyroid replacement could precipitate problems. (Or so  I've been
told.)

2. T4 is tricky because it takes about 6 weeks at a given  dose to feel all
the effects; and if you are making a lot of reverse T3, it may  work well at
first only to let you down in a short time. There is a real risk of  continuing
to increase the dose beyond what is optimal unless you take a lot of  time.

3. You may well have other things going on that the change  in T4 will not be
relevant to. If things get better (or worse) with the change  in T4, it may
be chance alone.

4. The LAST (not even then) thing you want is to end up  in someone else's
emergency room, be treated like a bad kid, and endure all the  hazards and
humiliations that go with being in the hospital.  <<<<<<

Thanks in advance -- dave  <<<

I hope this helped.

Doc Don