THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bridget Beltran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 04:39:34 -0400
Well I will only give you my experience in this.  I had a total and I was hyper
when I had mine removed, as well as cancerous, so I had to do the radio
iodine.  Initially I was starte on the lowest level of Levoxyll i think it was 25
mg, then every 6 weeks they went up until they surpressed it.  But after a
couple level changes I started having allergic reactions to it and was switched
to Synthroid. I was finally on 200mg for two years which supressed my TSH
levels to .05.  This was done because of the cancer, so unless you have
cancer then they probably won't surpress it and bring your levels that low.
The weight gain, well let's see I had gained about 30lbs the year before my
surgery, maybe more, i can't recall, but it was alot and as soon as I had it
removed I lost it all then began gaining it back, a side note (MY DR. SAYS I'M
WEIRD, BECAUSE I GAIN WEIGHT WHEN I'M HYPER AND LOSE IT WHEN I'M
HYPO) Now with that said, I lost 10lbs within a week of having it removed, so
who knows.  The thyroid is so crazy that one really never knows what, how,
or when you body will react to changes or to the different types of meds.  I
just recently changed from Synthroid/Levothyroxine to Armour, mainly because
of pregnancy reasons and the whole natural thing.

I wish you luck with your surgery and after care, as we all need it because
throid disease is difficult to control and making sure that your levels are good
and you feel good is KEY, so listen to your body, it WILL tell you when
something isn't right, believe me, I am still trying to get my levels under
control, and it's been 3.5 years for me.  GOOD LUCK.  Bridget

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyroid? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!