THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 00:29:03 -0400
  Doc Don writes:
  [A] woman who had Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome . . . responded especially well to SRT3 (sustained release T3) replacement. She lost over 100 pounds, was energetic, and was doing well.

 [Then she had] breast reduction surgery that was complicated by a painful and slow to heal wound infection [and] she started to regain the weight and the resultant hypothyroid picture was difficult to manage. She dropped out of treatment for a while, but came back recently. . . . . . While she is healthy, active, and dieting[,] she has not been able to lose the weight a second time.

 What is the mechanism at work there? If she dropped out of treatment [with the SRT3, I presume], then what? -- she went back of thryoxine, and then the trauma of the operation and its aftermath led to the production of more reverse T3 so she's very hypo again? Is that it?

 I can envision something like that. But in my case, I have been solely on SRT3 for over 5 years; how could I be having reverse T3 if I'm not taking any thyroxine?

 Thanks for any and all answers.

 Edward Reisman

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!