THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Charles VanderVeen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 02:11:36 -0400

OK, I am not one of those in the archives, since my adjustments based on
wilson's syndrome predate my joining the list, but here's some information
anyway.

I was diagnosed in 1992 as hypothyroid and placed on synthroid.
In 1995 that diagnosis was further defined as hashimoto's thyroiditis based
on the presence of the appropriate thyroid antibodies (the antibodies test
had not been done previous to this).
In 1999 I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, if you compare the symptoms of
FMS and Wilson's they are almost identical except for Wilson's mentioning a
low basal temp and FMS discussing tender points, I have those tender points,
but my basal temp was normally 97.2, rather than 98.6.
In 2000, because I had never experienced any of the relief of fatigue hoped
for from thyroid supplementation, my doctor agreed to try Armour Thyroid
rather than synthroid to treat my hypothyroidism.
Subsequent to switching to Armour, my fatigue problems were reduced and my
basal temp was elevated to 98.6-99.0.

In the last year, my doctor who believed my problem to be Wilson's and who
was treating it as such went out of business, the first attempt at a
replacement got me an endo who would only prescribe T3 if certain specific
liver function texts warranted it, would not prescribe natural source such
as Armour under any circumstances and sent me home with a dosage of t4
(synthroid) that was lower than I've ever taken since 1993.

Now I'm looking for a doctor again.

The true Wilson's protocol calls for a temporary period of T3, but since I
also have Hashimoto's, thyroid supplementation is not temporary for me.

Chuck VanderVeen

> >Hi Susan,
> >>In the Archives many people have posted that they have done
> the Wilson's
> protocol, are thinking about doing it, or are currently doing
> their own particular
> version of it. Some go back as far as 10 years.
> >>Many times we don't hear from them anymore. It sure would
> be nice to be
> able to connect with them for follow-up to see what results
> they got and
> what improvement they found for particular symptoms. It would
> also be good
> to know if they have any other conditions going on, other
> medications being
> taken as well, adrenal function, etc.

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!