THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 2009 23:03:18 -0400
Hello,

I've just joined this list, so I don't really know who's out there or who will
respond.  I just wanted some advice and perhaps some comfort.

After having a nodule for 10 years, biopsied and scanned regularly and
showing nothing irregular until this June, I have just had a thyroidectomy and
two small (3mm and 4mm) points of papillary thyroid cancer were found.  They
were encapsulated, and the surgeon didn't see any lymph node problems, so
none were removed (though he wouldn't have known about the pathology until
after the operation).

I recovered normally (I have three young sons, but they were mostly under a
relative's care during the first week), and then 8 days after the operation
after a really good day around the house getting chores done and not feeling
awful, I walked the kids (and a toddler in a stroller) up to school.  On the way
back, I felt faint and had to lie down.  I was taken home, and was very cold
and shakey, and could hardly sit up.  Went to the doctor and he did CBC,
kidney, liver, thryoid, parathyroid and calcium levels--all came back normal,
with slightly elevated white blood cell count.  I've been getting a bit better
each day, but I'm still not where I was before my overexertion.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with me?  Blood sugar?
Anemia?  I keep having terrifying thoughts that the cancer has spread
throughout my body and I'm on the "way out."  I've lost weight (but had an
interstinal disturbance for about 6 weeks off and on before the operation,
though it cleared two weeks before the op), some before the op, but now I
seem to be shriveling, and it's not easy for me to lose weight.  I'm so
panicked, and the doctors just sort of shrug and think it's anxiety.  Which I'm
sure it is in part.

Not sure what to do to get better.  Have some more help with the kids, but
have to undergo radioactive iodine therapy in about 4 weeks, and am terrified
about it.  Have to get on my feet, and not sure how.

Sorry to go on, just feeling very hopeless and clueless.  Thanks.

Jennifer

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?SUBED1=thyroid&A=1>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]