THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 11:22:26 -0500
Hi Diane,
I think a typical starting dose of synthroid is 1.0 mg.  They base a
starting dose on weight.  But most docs are reluctant to prescribe a
usual starting dose if the person is middle aged or especially in the
elderly or in anyone with history of heart problems.

When I was first diagnosed with my Hashimotos hypothryoidism in 1997
at the age of 46, my doctor started me on .88 mcg.  That gave me a
normal TSH but didn't adequately treat my hypothyroidism so I ended
up switching to Armour.

Many people do struggle with weight gain that is hard to lose.  But
of course diet and exercise will be major factors there too!  Many
people are underdosed on their thyroid medication due to fears of the
negative effects of too high a dose!

HOpe this helps,
Susan
Hartsburg, MO

At 02:57 PM 2009-07-06, you wrote:
>hi. i have a question. i am getting my thyroid out tomorrow...
>apparently my thyroid is hypo. does anyone here know what an average
>start amount is for synthroid or whatever? my cousin takes 375 mg one
>time a day. that sounds outrageous but of course i know nothing about
>this stuff. she had gained 60 lbs the first year. and i DO NOT want
>that... thanks.
>diane, near philly, pa

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyroid? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!