THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 23:16:27 EDT
In a message dated 8/4/2009 10:54:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Hi:

I've been on 37.5 of Synthroid for a year now.  My  TSH doubled recently
and
my endo put me on 50 of Synthroid.  I had a  cardiology appt two weeks
later
and my heart rate was between 119 and 130  range.  The cardiologist was
alarmed and immediately sent me for a  stress test and further cardiac
testing.   >>>>>>>>>
IMHO (In my humble opinion), something else is  wrong.  In a situation like
this, I would suspect Adrenal Insufficiency or  another metabolic  problem.

About 200 mcg is an average full replacement dose for an adult. If you use
anything less than this when you don't need it, a normally functioning
thyroid  will decrease its output to allow the total amount of hormone to be
correct. If  you are getting overdose symptoms on such a small change in dose,
your doctor  needs to do better.

TSH, used in isolation, is worse than useless in  assessing the adequacy of
thyroid replacement.

It is  very important to remember that 85% of any diagnosis, from pregnancy

to gunshot wound, is purely History (What's been happening to the patient
before  they came to the office?); The Examination (How do they appear  to
the,
hopefully,  well trained eye?) is worth about 10% and Labs are  only good
for about
5%.

Most docs use the clinical lab, instead of  clinical acumen, to tell
whether
their patient has a thyroid problem.  This guarantees that a lot of thyroid
problems  are missed  and the host of resulting problems helps make ours
the most
expensive,  but not best, medical system in the world.

Likewise, it seems that no one is bothering to look at the rest of  the
clinical picture to really give you the help you.

A prayer that you get what you need to get well.

Doc Don

(AKA D. Michael, MD, PC)

steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.