THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karen Reznek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2016 18:49:30 -0400
On 5/10/16 1:00 PM, Eric Johnson wrote:

> I'm not sure if it is the thyroid, but my blood sugar was much different than before. I had always been on the high side of the normal range and now I'm prediabetic. Also, my systolic blood pressure which has been quite consistent has suddenly become much more volatile over the last couple of years. The first time I ever had a blood systolic blood pressure reading more than 135 was when I started going mildly hypothermic when exposed to cool temperatures a couple of years ago. Now about half the time it is higher than that with readings as high as in the 160s! This morning it was a more normal 123/82.

That sounds awfully familiar. I also ended up on meds for high blood
pressure (which had always been low before going on Synthroid), and
diabetic. The diabetes is controlled by diet, and there is a family
history, so I never associated it with either the thyroid meds or being
hypothyroid. However, I was having thyroid symptoms for several years
before being treated, and both my blood sugar and pressure were fine
through that.

> One thing I'm curious about is whether symptoms like this, if not independent of it thyroid problems, might level back off once the blood levels become fairly normal.

Don't hold your breath. I've been dealing with it for several years now.

Sorry I don't have any answers; only a similar experience.

Karen Reznek