THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:35:47 -0400
Hello everybody!

It's been a long, long time since I communicated with the group, and as I was sitting at the keyboard with a thermometer in my mouth (and it can take me 15 minutes to get a decent temperature reading), I wanted to share something with the group.? I apologize in advance for the length of the post.

1.? I have been using Sustained-Release T3 ("SRt3") since mid-2001.? I have gone as high as 150 mcg. twice a day, although for the last several years I have settled into the 75 - 112.5 (twice a day) range.? This has been in (quasi-) observance of the "Wilson protocol," named for E. Denis Wilson, M.D., of the eponymous Symdrom/Thyroid Disease/Reverse t3 Dominance, etc.? If I remember correctly, his protocol is predicated on taking sufficient amount of t3 to keep my body temperature at 98.6 degrees (F.), which indicates proper bodily function.? With regard to alleviating the symptoms of too little thyroid, he has said that if certain symptoms of hypothyroidism return, then it is advisable to "cycle down" on the dosage, and then increase the dose gradually.? I have done this on several occasions over the last few years.? The "signposts" for me that it was time to go back up on the dosage were pain in the costochondrial region and a depressive state in which I would be very "weepy" for much of the day.? These usually hit me at about 52.5 mcg. (x 2/day). ? Those symptoms have been very reliable signs for me in past years.? And now . . . . .

2.?? I have also been taking small amounts of hydrocortisone at various times over the last few years, as the lab readings on AM cortisol have been decidedly below normal.? (I have also experienced some of the symptoms of too little adrenal output, such as massive sensitivity to bright sunlight).? After July of 2007, I settled into a regimen of 10 mg. twice a day.? With recent labs indicating that the AM cortisol was still a tad below normal, it was decided with my Doc to raise it to 10 mg. three times a day.? At the same time (and we're talking about March 4th or so), I started to "cycle down" on the SRt3.? So I have been reducing the dose of SRt3 and have been waiting for the pain and weepiness to hit me.? I'm down to 22.5 mcg. x 2/day.? And until earlier today, they hadn't shown up yet!? (Right now if can cause myself pain in my chest by pressing down on it).

What the blazes is happening?? I've NEVER gone so low on the SRt3 without feeling like ****.? Has? improved adrenal function obviated the need for more thyroid replacement?? That's the best I can come up with, except for # 3 below.? (And just to let you know, I don't wear a tin-foil hat, and I don't think I need one, and if I have regular encounters with aliens, it's only because I am an immigration lawyer).

3.? Since early February of this year, I have been using a "Whole Body Vibrator" ("WBV") when I am at work.? It is a platform that oscillates at very high speeds (1100 - 2450 vibrations per minute, depending on the setting;? I've been using the maximum setting).? It was originally developed by the Soviets to correct the bone loss experienced by their cosmonauts after being in zero-gravity environments for long periods of time.? Over the last few years, many claims have emerged regarding the benefits of using this machine on a regular basis.? Some even say that WBV provides neuroendocrine benefits, but nobody seems to be able to explain why or how.? (Some of the "studies" have been done by the manufacturers themselves, so I am a little leery of them; also, mainstream medical journals tend to focus solely on lab values before and after a regimen of WBV has been instituted).

?I myself started doing it because I was worried about osteoporosis in my lower spine.? I stand on it for 15 minutes, and then sit on it for another 30 minutes.? (There are various stances, poses, and exercises one can do on these machines.)? Perhaps because of this regimen, my own hormonal functions have improved, but I really can't say for sure (yet).

Anyway, sorry again for the length of this post.

My best to all.

Edward Reisman

PS? After 35 minutes, the thermometer reads 98.4.? I think that's the best i'm gonna' get.

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyroid? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!