TELEHEALTHNEWS Archives

TelehealthNews Newsletter

TELEHEALTHNEWS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marlene Maheu PhD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TelehealthNews Newsletter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:02:21 -0400
Dear TelehealthNews Listserv Member,

On February 23, 2014 the American Psychological Association’s Council of Representatives voted against our establishment of a new APA division to support “research, development and consultation for psychological technology.”  This outcome was the apex of our 2.5 years of earnest desire and diligent effort to meet all of the APA’s requirements as outlined in APA bylaws. That effort included the collection of 768 petitioner names (significantly more than the 710 required).

Stunned but unwavering in our vision, we have moved in these three directions with renewed vigor and focus:

   1. Collaborative Effort at APA. Representatives from five APA Divisions have approached us to explore synergies after APA Council’s decision in February. Given this unexpected turn of events, we are in conversation and are seeking guidance for how to maximize widespread interest in our unique mission, which is to create opportunities for psychologists with technology. As a group unencumbered by the politics of specialty divisions at APA, we seek other APA Division liaisons that support our excitement and share our goals.  Contact Marlene Maheu through her web-based desk to join our conversation: www.support.telehealth.org

   2. American Counseling Association (ACA).  Since Council’s decision, some of us have acted upon an opportunity to work toward a technology-related Division within the American Counseling Association (ACA). In keeping with our vision of forming inter-professional liaisons, we responded to an invitation that arrived within three days of APA’s decision.  As a result, a petition has been mounted to establish an ACA Organizational Affiliation and then a Division with governance voting privileges. Within ten days of the invitation, we had our petition mounted online. Less than a week later, we’ve collected more than half of the petition signatures needed to make our request for formal representation in ACA’s Council. (In just eight days, we've collected more than 160 of 200 needed signatures....) If you are an ACA member, please sign the ACA petition here: http://thewiredpro.com

    3. Association for Technology and Behavioral Health (ATBH). We have re-organized as a new group known as the Association for Technology and Behavioral Health (ATBH), a non-profit organization. We therefore invite all stakeholders and professional associations to join us in our efforts to advance evidence-based approaches to technological research, education, training, development and consultation in all behavioral sciences.  Our mission is to create opportunities for behavioral health professionals and professional groups working toward using technology to meet the need shared worldwide, but most recently articulated in the United States Health Care Reform’s Triple Aim goals of:

        a. increasing access to clients/patients
        b. reducing costs and
        c. improving care through research, development and consultation

 As APA members, fellows, early career professionals (ECPs), students (APAGs) or affiliates, you are invited to join our community.  If you are not affiliated with the APA, we also invite you to join us. Show your support for our mission by visiting our website or becoming a member.  (Since Sunday, we already have a number of new members who have supported us with generous donations!)  See our newly re-focused website here: http://stp-apa.net

For more details, see this blog post: http://telehealth.org/blog/startling-outcome-of-request-to-apa-council-for-a-new-division-for-technology-psychology-in-february-of-2014/

We serve researchers, practitioners, trainers, consultants, professionals and organizations who share an interest in evidence-based technology development for 21st century behavioral health care. Please circulate this letter to all potentially interested parties, including our international colleagues.

Respectfully signed as the ATBH Steering Committee:

Marlene Maheu, Ph.D., President
Kenneth Drude, Ph.D., Secretary
Robert K. Ax, Ph.D., Member-at-Large
Ray Folen, Ph.D, Membership Chair