SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ScipolicyNews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:45:35 -0400
FYI: We received the following response from the Department of State:

_________________________________

Thank you for your recent expression of concern in the case of Dr. Younus
Shaikh, founder-President of "Enlightenment," a Pakistan-based organization
affiliated with the International Humanist and Ethical Union.  Please pardon
the fact that this is a standardized reply, but I have received so many
telephone calls, e-mails, and faxes over the last few days that this is the
only way I can reply.

The U.S. Department of State, including the U.S. Embassy in Pakistan and our
office, the Office of International Religious Freedom in the Department's
Bureau of Human Rights, has long been aware of the threat to religious
freedom posed by Pakistan's "blasphemy laws" under which Dr. Shaikh has
apparently been charged.  Unfortunately, this is only the latest among many
similar cases filed under those laws.

Officials of the State Department have on many occasions raised the issue of
the blasphemy law at the highest levels with Pakistani government officials.
We have impressed on them the need to repeal the blasphemy law so as to
conform to international standards of religious liberty and freedom of
expression.  As an intermediate step, we have urged that the government
change procedures for filing complaints under the law so as to limit the
abuse of the law.

In April 2000, Chief Executive General Pervez Musharraf (who took power in a
military coup on October 12, 1999) announced a proposal to make an
administrative change to the blasphemy laws, which was aimed at reducing the
number of persons who are accused wrongly under the laws.  However,
Musharraf failed to implement these proposed changes due to significant
opposition and pressure from some religious groups.  Our Embassy in
Islamabad is closely following these developments.  We will continue to
weigh in as appropriate on the need to protect the freedom of religion and
expression of all of Pakistan's people.

I have forwarded information on Dr. Shaikh's case to the State Department's
Pakistan desk, and to the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad.  I have asked them to
look into the case and to express our concern.  However, I stress that there
are many such cases currently being prosecuted in Pakistani courts.  During
our discussions with Pakistani officials, they often assure us that no one
has ever been put to death under the blasphemy laws.  I am sorry that at
this time, I have nothing more positive to report on Dr. Shaikh's case,
except to assure you that we will continue to monitor the case and to
express our concern.

Further information on Pakistan's blasphemy law, and on some of the cases
filed under its provisions, are available in the chapter on Pakistan in the
State Department's latest annual International Religious Freedom Report,
which is available at the State Department's web site - www.state.gov .

Thanks again for your expression of interest.
Sincerely,
Paul J. Martin
Office of International Religious Freedom
U.S. Department of State
Main State, Room 4829, 2201 C Street N.W.
Washington, DC  20520
USA
* Tel.  (202) 647-4359;   Fax (202) 647-3209