SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:07:29 -0000
SDV,
I do take your point about probably.  However, in the case of GM crops, the
companies have gone some way to testing their safety for consumers.  It is a
question of where in the probability scale one judges it to be and I find
the assertion of their safety for consumers reasonable when set against
standards adopted elsewhere in the food industry and routinely applied to
non-GM crops.  I do not think those claims of safety amount to lying.

Of course, safe for a consumer does not mean safe for the ecosystem. Some of
the agriculural strategies being proposed, and for which some GM crops are
designed, seem ecologically very questionable indeed.

Sincerely

John Hewitt