RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:45:38 -0700
Here's a new book coming out in June 2005, from the University of California
Press (a not-for-profit organization), that may interest some list members:

Tending the Wild : Native American Knowledge and the Management of California's
Natural Resources (Hardcover)
by M. Kat Anderson

John Muir was an early proponent of a view we still hold today--that much of
California was pristine, untouched wilderness before the arrival of Europeans.
But as this groundbreaking book demonstrates, what Muir was really seeing when
he admired the grand vistas of Yosemite and the gold and purple flowers
carpeting the Central Valley were the fertile gardens of the Sierra Miwok and
Valley Yokuts Indians, modified and made productive by centuries of harvesting,
tilling, sowing, pruning, and burning. Marvelously detailed and beautifully
written, Tending the Wild is an unparalleled examination of Native American
knowledge and uses of California's natural resources that reshapes our
understanding of native cultures and shows how we might begin to use their
knowledge in our own conservation efforts.

Tom Billings