RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:34:55 -0400
Does anyone on this list know the relative merits of flax seeds vs.
flaxseed oil?

I have extremely dry eyes and when I went to see an ophthalmologist today,
he recommended taking 1000 mg of flax seed oil twice/day. According to a
study he cited of 300 patients with dry eyes treated with flaxseed oil, 85%
had total relief of their symptoms.

Actually I have been consuming flax seeds every day for the past several
years. I take about one tablespoon twice/day - organic milled golden flax
from a vacuum-packed foil container.

So I'm wondering how the major components (omega 3, 6, 9) of this amount of
flax seeds would compare in milligrams to flax seed oil. And if I should
switch to a higher daily intake of seeds - or should I consume 2000 mg of
flax seed oil instead?

The eye doc said he didn't know the difference, but just to consume 2000 mg
daily in whatever form.  There's nothing listed on my golden flax package
in terms of milligrams of omegas.

Thanks for any information or references.
- Janet