RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:31:36 -0700
In-the-works nutrition book from the University of California Press, that may
be of interest to some list members. To be published Sept 2006:

The Queen of Fats
Why Omega-3s Were Removed from the Western Diet and What We Can Do to Replace
Them
Susan Allport

DESCRIPTION

A nutritional whodunit that takes readers from Greenland to Africa to Israel,
The Queen of Fats gives a fascinating account of how we have become deficient
in a nutrient that is essential for good health: the fatty acids known as
omega-3s. Writing with intelligence and passion, Susan Allport tells the story
of these vital fats, which are abundant in greens and fish, among other foods.
She describes how scientists came to understand the role of omega-3s in our
diet, why commercial processing has removed them from the food we eat, and what
the tremendous consequences have been for our health. In many Western
countries, epidemics of inflammatory diseases and metabolic disorders have been
traced to omega-3 deficiencies. The Queen of Fats provides information for
every consumer who wants to reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer,
arthritis, and obesity and to improve brain function and overall health. This
important and compelling investigation into the discovery, science, and
politics of omega-3s will transform our thinking about what we should be
eating.

* Includes steps you can take to add omega-3s to your diet

* Shows why eating fish is not the only way, or even the best way, to increase
omega-3s.

* Provides a new way to understand the complex advice about the role and
importance of fats in the body

* Explains how and why the food industry has created a deadly imbalance of fats
in our foods

* Shows how omega-3s can be reintroduced to our diet through food enrichment
and changes in the feeding of livestock

CONTENTS (back to top)

1. What's for Dinner?
2. A Trip to Greenland
3. How the Omegas Got Their Name
4. Monsieur Cholesterol
5. Fishy Fats
6. Tree Lard and Cow Oil
7. The Chemist in the Kitchen
8. Out of Africa . . .
9. . . . and into the Membrane
10. Where Have All the Omega-3s Gone?
11. The Speed of Life
12. Putting Omega-3s Back into Your Food Supply
13. The Proof Is in the Pudding

Time Line
Glossary
Notes