PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:33:51 -0600
Diana,
   Crying hard can be a gimmick.  True, those that experienced a greater
range of emotions had more positive outcomes (Luborsky; Nixon, 1982)"
...[Some good level of anxiety is also helpful -- Meehl argues this is one
of the main jobs of the "therapist".][And]"... there seems to be a general
trend indicating that greater initial anxiety is related to better outcome
(Kernberg, et al., 1972; Learner and Fiske, 1973)."

 BUT note:

..."*Neither* client client insight or self-exploration [(which
basically includes "exploration of the past")] was [generally] related to
successful counseling outcome (Morgan, et al., 1982; Luborsky)...."When
clients were directed to attend to their affective states, it was
sometimes, but not always helpful (Nichols, 1974)." "Little was
accomplished when counselors used "immediacy", ...[and] under conditions
of low empathy and genuineness this may even be harmful." [This is
interesting, because "immediacy" is a skill that counselors-in-training are
coached, again and again, to try to achieve and it is thought to be very
important; but, it is considered an advanced or difficult skill (citation:
Ivey, any year in the last 25).]..."[Somewhat similarly,] "confrontation"
was often but not consistently found related to [positive]
outcome"...It is not reliably

For more on how you can tell if Treatment is Good (ususally) see my "FAQ"
on this.  It is a summary of some of the very best research.  The web
address is:

http://www.future.net/~bradj/FAQ.html

regards, Brad Jesness