PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Pope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Pope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:59:43 -0500
Call for Papers
PsychoGeography
Special Theme Issue
March, 2001

Dear Colleague,

I cordially invite you to contribute to our Special Issue on
"PsychoGeography" of Clio's Psyche: Understanding the 'Why' of Culture,
Current Events, History, and Society.

"PsychoGeography is the study of human projections upon geographic space
and the psychic interaction between people and geography" (Elovitz).  It
investigates "how issues, experiences, and processes that result from
growing up in a male or female body become symbolized and played out in the
wider social and natural worlds" (Stein and Niederland).

We are seeking articles from 500 to 1500 words -- including your brief
biography -- which relate to one or more of the following issues:

· The gender of geography (e.g., "motherlands" and "fatherlands")
· Psychogeography of rivers, islands, mountains, etc.
· Borders and borderland symbolism
· Cities, states, and countries as symbols of grandiosity, growth/decay,
 etc. (e.g., Las Vegas, Florida, California, and Washington, DC)
· Lightness and darkness, day and night
· Travel and exploration
· Illness, hospitals and hospices, and death

Howard F. Stein, co-editor with William G. Niederland of Maps From the Mind
(Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 1989), has already written an
article, "Psychogeography in the Workplace."  This Special Theme issue is
dedicated to the memory of the late Bill Niederland.  He was a pioneer of
the concept of psychogeography and a member of the Psychohistory Forum
which publishes Clio's Psyche.

We would like articles written for the educated layperson, without
citations.  We prefer that they are personalized, and without psychological/
psychoanalytic or geographic terminology or jargon.  The deadline is
January 15.  The articles should be sent as a Word for Windows file (<*.rtf> also
acceptable) attached to an e-mail message.  They will be refereed.  Further
information, including detailed Author Guidelines, is available on our Web
site at <www.cliospsyche.com>.

I hope you can join this important endeavor.

Sincerely yours,

Paul H. Elovitz, PhD
Professor, Psychoanalyst, Historian, and Psychohistorian
Editor, Clio's Psyche