PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larry Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:03:06 -0800
>From: Robert Galatzer-Levy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Asperger's Syndrome
>Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:01:20 -0600
>
>Both autism and Asperger's syndrome are pervasive developmental disorders.
>The separation of Asperger's from autism is a matter of controversy since
>they share many core features though Asperger's patients function much
>better cognitively, communicate better and generally do not have CNS signs.
>
>At 11:09 AM 3/22/2001 -0800, you wrote:
> >I would like to know if there are any practicing psychoanalysts who
>believe
> >that the so-called "Asperger's Syndrome" is actually a mild form of
>autism.
> >I would sincerely appreciate a reply from anyone on this.  Thanks,
> >
> >Larry D. Lyons
>
>Robert M. Galatzer-Levy, M.D.            Telephone 312 922 5077
>122 South Michigan Avenue                 Fax 312 922 5084
>Chicago, Illinois 60603                        E-Mail

Thank you Dr. Galatzer-Levy.
What do you think about it?  Do the two have identical aetiologies?  Do they
originate from infantile psychical trauma, or are they caused by some sort
of damage to the nervous system?  Are the two deemed related due to
symptomology alone, or has someone performed a detailed genetic analysis?
Forgive me.  I know this request is, itself, a cheap form of
research--begging knowledge from authority--but it's a start, and hopefully
I will be able to repay you some day in-kind.

Respectfully,

Larry D. Lyons