PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Howard Eisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:59:56 -0500
Reply to Mina Carson, Ph.D., MSW

I have found that here in New York City there are psychoanalytic"institutes"
which are not too choosy about whom they admit. There are people who join these
institutes who are not that academically oriented, have just gotten by
scholastically, and have little to no intellectual curiosity. Many of these are,
indeed, social workers. I do not believe that this characterizes ALL social
workers who become psychoanalysts.

I am a psychologist. I have not found many in my profession to be as learned-or
even as bright-as I feel they should be. I am not personally insulted when
someone says the above about psychologists.

One motivation for New York City social workers to go to one of our Mickey Mouse
"insitutes" is that it offers them a chance to change their title from social
worker to psychoanalyst. They practice "psychoanalysis" out of their husbands'
offices in the evening, charging much less than the going rate, as they have no
overhead and their spousal support limits their monetary needs.  This type has
little interest in psychoanalysis as a body of knowledge, nor do they care about
controversies or criticisms. They also have little to no experience working with
severe mental illnesses, which should be a part of every therapist's training.
There are non-social workers about whom the above is equally true.

I single out social workers because I remember a time when this field-as did
psychology-attracted a brighter and more scholastic person. I'll bet that you do
too.

Howard D. Eisman, Ph.D.