PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Howard Eisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 14:08:49 -0500
To all:
It seems that Avner Govrin is saying that a belief in empirical testing is a
form of psychopathology. This is a switch on an ancient Freudian tactic (label
the critic as sick); Avner Govrin,  paraphrasing Stephen Mitchell, says the
methodologies which which lead to questions about the validity of
psychoanalysis are "contaminated" by unrealistic "ideologies". Same stuff, a
bit more sophisticated.

Remember Samuel Johnson's response to Bishop Berekeley's solipsism.
I had though that Mitchell's self proclaimed "paradigm switch" had already
played itself out. I have not found it yet adopted by any other than his own
followers.

No one outside of psychoanalysis is going to take it seriously as long as it
continues to describe itself as superlatively pure while all other approaches
are fatally tainted. This tactic is preaching to the choir; it only alienates
others.

Howard D. Eisman, Ph.D.

Howard D. Eisman, Ph.D.