PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Dr. Jeffry Luria" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 06:38:48 -0500
You pose an interesting conundrum Diane:

> Thank you for your thank you, Larry.  However, you may not like
> my following
> remarks as much.  In truth, I rather agree with Dr. Eisman in
> some respects.
> It is disturbing to me.  It happens to be with different groups but the
> bitterness is the same.  It is an envy based on economic survival.
>
> In a state where the celebrated Selma Fraiberg lived and worked and was
> lauded by the illustrious Richard Sterba (I believe the only or one of the
> few non-Jews to throw his lot in with the Freuds in their exodus
> from their
> native land), we are so overrun by professionals of all ilk who
> inhabit every
> nook and cranny and have often the most deplorable practice ideals in
> whatever their theoretical orientation.

It's an interesting problem taht you are addressing, something I have
witnessed
throughout the years of my training and practice in both NYC and now upstate
NY in a rural setting.  It is buttressed by the journal articles, the press,
and the list discussions which often leave me completely resigned in the
face of the lack of the merest professionalism and dispassionate scrutiny of
problems and issues.  But it is nowhere more full blown than when I am
asked or of necessity must refer out.  I cannot refer in good conscience
within my county (very sparse services anyway) and when I consider a nearby
city I have to fall back on my gut impression (in spite of serous
intellectual
reservations) about a possible therapist.  That is, do they have a sense of
humor, are they authentically inquisitive, are they empathetic?