PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Howard Eisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:03:40 -0500
An American history of psychiatrists' orientations
Psychiatrists were "biological" from the 1850s into the first two decades of the 20th century. In the 1920s and beyond, many were influenced by Adolph Meyer's biopsychosocial approach
(which sounds quite modern today). Meyer, who was neither good at self-promotion nor at developing a theory of "everything", lost out to Freudian Psychoanalysis in the 1940s.
Psychoanalysis ruled American psychiatry in the 1950s but started downhill in the late 1960s. In the early 1970s, psychiatrist Joe Wortis (who had been psychoanalyzed by Freud)
declared that the mission of psychiatry was to treat mental illness with biological (medication primarily) methods. Wortis led, the rest of psychiatry followed so that psychiatry had
almost completely abandoned the pursuit of psychoanalysis as well as psychotherapy by the 1980s.

There are very few psychiatrists interested in becoming psychoanalysts today.

Howard D. Eisman, Ph.D

Howard D. Eisman, Ph.D.