PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alexander Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 18:49:07 -0500
An impressive barrage of trenchant and intelligently written messages have
recently been posted in an attempt to fathom, and denounce (appropriately I
believe), Dr. Eisman's narrow-minded views on the practice of
psychoanalysis, women, social workers, and certain analytic institutes and
their methodologies for accepting and training candidates.  Certainly,
encountering such blatant prejudice will cause one's back hairs to bristle
and a passionate rally against such philistinism is natural, if not
admirable.  Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that such reasoned and measured
rebuttals will have much effect on broadening Eisman's stated views, which,
while delivered in a pseudo-intellectualized package, appears, upon
reflection, to be shot from somplace closer to his hip.  We can speculate
about the genetic roots of Eisman's prejudice and counter his views until
the cows come home, but .....

Personally, and particularly as a very recent subscriber to this list, I'm
disappointed to see how quickly the discussion thread shifted -- and has
remained refocused -- away from its starting point -- a valediction and
appreciation of Stephen Mitchell's contributions to psychoanalytic theory
and practice.  I wonder why it appears to be more compelling to engage in
intellectual battle with a sophomoric bigot than to explore an important and
vital presence, tragically truncated?  Might Eisman be serving as a ready
target on whom the e-group can re-direct its collective anguish rather than
confront the reality of such a profound loss?

Alexander Stein, M.S.Sc. Psy.A.
24 East 12th Street
New York, New York  10003
212.539.3769