PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larry Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:18:27 -0800
>From: Robert Galatzer-Levy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Asperger's Syndrome
>Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:01:20 -0600
>
>Both autism and Asperger's syndrome are pervasive developmental disorders.
>The separation of Asperger's from autism is a matter of controversy since
>they share many core features though Asperger's patients function much
>better cognitively, communicate better and generally do not have CNS
>signs.>Robert M. Galatzer-Levy, M.D.            Telephone 312 922 5077
>122 South Michigan Avenue                 Fax 312 922 5084
>Chicago, Illinois 60603                        E-Mail

Dear Dr. Galatzer-Levy:
I just received an email from a Tommy Jonsson that said this: "Do not haste
away with this!  Take a lot of time, be "critical" about any simplification
and make sure we speak about the same phenomena, for instance when we
mention trauma!"  I thought, oh my god, he thinks I'm one of those
knitted-brow Barbara Walters types who think all mental illness is caused by
incest.  I can't stand it.  I want to assure everyone that all I had in mind
was the primal scene.  After an infant sees that he still wants to be loved
by his parents, but since love is such a horrible thing he does NOT wish to
be loved by his parents.  The frail infantile ego can't handle such
conflicts so he represses them into a part of the brain that can fulfill
conflicting wishes simultaneously.  He then grows up in the habit of
inadvertently offending potential love objects.  The main thing I wanted to
know from practicing psychoanalysts was if the damned pop psychologists had
any basis for their new belief that a gene has been isolated that causes AS.

Respectfully,

Larry