PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 17:35:36 -0500
Robert M. Galatzer-Levy, M.D. wrote:
: which clearly says that his membership is being discontinued because he has
: failed to pay his dues. Would you trust a person who made connections in
: this way regarding his opinions of complex texts?

I think the 'failed to pay his dues' letter was viewed as another
conspiracy if I remember correctly. Moreover, given his status at
the time I am inclined to agree with his observations. Of course,
most of what he writes is speculation and speculation is very much a
part of psa.

: Mason will remain a thorn in our side because he writes very convincingly
: and is expert at publicizing his views. Only close reading of his work
: reveals how he reaches erroneous conclusions. As a result his views are
: taken very seriously and can cause considerable mischief.

Masson set out to undermine the foundation of psa and gave it a half
hearted attempt by infiltrating the archives. His lack of grounding
in psa led to his mischief in so far as he did not know how to attack
psa or how to undermine the theory. After realizing that he could not
sweep the footings out from the edifice of psa, he took option B and
launched a emotionally charged rhetorical attack on anyone and
everyone concerned with the archives. He was a "wannabe" in the field
and he would probably step over anyone to make a name for himself.

--
               Robert G. White               Dept. of Psychology