PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Howard Eisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:41:26 -0500
L Miller wrote:

> yes, and more--  I hear some postulation by Dr Eisman that "his" views are
> "THE CORRECT" views, and that those with different educational levels and
> or trainings are not valuable, nor do they have much to offer to inform
> therapeutic practice as a whole.  Too bad...
>
> Dr Eisman, do you actually believe your words about women social workers
> and psychoanalytic practices, their husbands and such?  What prompted this
> outburst?  Louise
>

> Reply:

You bet I do!. Please note that Cynthia Macdonald describes worse behavior in her
post earlier today.You might ask her if she believes what she posted.

You don't really think that anyone writing something you do not believe couldn't
possibly be serious. What could more reflect belief in "THE CORRECT views" (your
words) than such an assumption..

I also find the old  trick of "what prompted this outburst" for any criticisms in
rather bad taste. The idea that any criticism or description of bad behavior in
the world of psychoanalysis has to be based on some personal psychopathology is
transparently self-serving and quite anti-intellectual. No one takes this ancient
canard seriously anymore.

If psychoanalysis is to ever regain the respectability it once had, attacking
critics with ad hominem arguments will have to stop.

Howard D. Eisman, Ph.D.