Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:39:21 +1000
Paul writes:

<<I plan to install Win XP Pro on a system where I have Win98.

I have tried to perform an upgrade which would retian all of my settings and
programs...>>

That would not have been a good thing to do, even if it were possible. XP
is a totally different type of OS from  W98, and trying to graft any new OS
onto another has always been likely to result in grief.

Most likely this has been the cause of your troubles with W98, as you
mention previous updating.

It is strongly recommended that you should reformat your hard drive, or at
least the partition into which you intend to install XP, before starting on
the installation process.

Presumably your hard drive, and your system generally, are adequate for XP.
If there is enough spare space, you might perhaps preserve what you want
from your old system by defragging, then creating a new partition (say E) ,
moving whatever you wish to save onto the new partition E, then
reformatting the rest of the hard drive onto which you would then install
XP. Better still, create at least 3 partitions, so that you can keep the OS
separate from Program Files and store data on the third partition. Just how
you'd do this depends on what you have available. Partition Magic seems to
be the most favoured utility for this. Once you've partitioned off the main
part of the Hard Drive, XP will give you an option of further partitioning
when you commence installing it.

Better, if you have a CD burner, you could burn the OE folder, with any
other data you want to keep, to a CD from which you can restore that data.
As well as Email stuff, you might want to preserve your internet bookmarks,
internet connection settings, email and dialup settings, and Startup and
Sendto folders.

Any settings are easiest preserved by screencaps saved as .jpg files, from
which you can later copy those settings.

In any event, you will have to face up to re-installing all your software
in XP. You may wish to save your software .ini files from the Windows
folder.  Most (not all) of these can be later copied into XP Windows folder
to preserve your existing settings.

PS. I'm not sure what all this has to do with your stated subject of Nero
Burning. So I've taken the liberty of changing the subject line to
something more appropriate.

Don Penlington.
 From the beach at Surfers Paradise.
http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
for sunny Queensland photos, fractal art, free computer tutorials, and more.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml