Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2011 16:21:38 -0400
Hi Loy,

You certainly asked some excellent and pertinent questions.

Unfortunately most people ask them after the fact, i.o.w , they have the failure

and now have to scramble how to restore their saved backup or image.

I wrote a post about  cloning (also backup and imaging) programs a while ago

http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?A2=ind1109&L=pcsoft&F=&S=&P=16144

in which I emphasized the importance of a program that can use- or create a bootable CD

to restore your backup or image.

Win 7 has a good backup utility built in and has the advantage of of being integrated

into the boot menu for restore purposes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/675-system-image-recovery.html

This is all well and good if your drive is still working AND you have a Win7 installation DVD,

but if neither condition applies, you'd have to resort to 3rd party programs.

Win 7 rescue discs are available here (for a fee) http://systemdiscs.com/

Also here  Windows 7 System Recovery disk Live Boot CD 64 bit DVD (disc is comparable with Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate)

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-System-disc-comparable-Professional/dp/B004RDCEQO

Free links are here:

http://thegift73.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/windows-7-repair-disks-and-windows-vista-recovery-disks/  Read the article -Mega-upload links only!!!

They will give you the menu that is similar to the boot menu and will list Repair.

via this you can navigate to the backup image on a USB drive.

Since you were using Drive Image XML you don't have any facility to create a rescue CD

from within the program, but instead ,you're referred to a link how to build one.

They suggest to use (create) a BartPE disc and incorporate the Drive Image XML plugin.

or you could use UBCD4Win

http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm   It includes Drive Image XML

I haven't used either one on Win 7 and would rather use a more compatible Win7 PE

based on the Win7 WAIK.

An example would be here : http://reboot.pro/12427/

There are several of these projects, but they tend to be quite involved and somewhat tricky

for the average user.

I would rather use and recommend to pick a program such as Paragon Backup and Recovery Advanced 2011  http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

You can create the recovery (Linux based) CD, which is bootable and allow you

to perform many operations, including restore to your hard drive.

Check the manual http://www.paragon-software.com/docs/manual_BR2011FreeAd.pdf

See Restore from local drive page 94

Other options are to use other imaging solutions provided by hard drive mfrs

Western Digital and Seagate/Maxtor if applicable.

 Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

 http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

 Seagate/Maxtor DiscWizard

 http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

I would recommend to format and possibly partition the new hard drive beforehand

using eg. Partition Wizard

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

I know this is more than a regular post and resembles an article <g>,

but I feel that a simple 2-line answer won't suffice In this case.

I hope it'll help you and others.

Peter E.