Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:26:10 -0700
  It's rarely true that you must use the DNS servers provided by your ISP; I
use the ones at work because they seem to be slightly better maintained than
most.

  But in most cases, your machine is configured to obtain DNS server
addresses from DHCP at the same time as you receive an address to use, so
both of these will have been specified by the ISP.

  I did work, about a year ago, on a machine that wasn't picking up the DNS
settings from DHCP -- it had them statically configured to some other
strange addresses.  We changed it to pick them up from DHCP, and it did ...
for about an hour, then reset them to the same static values.  It turned out
to be a spyware infestation that was doing it.
  We never knew how long the machine had been infected.  We got called
because, like this poster's friend, the user could not reach any sites.  It
turned out that the Russian ISP had finally responded to a complaint and
taken down the spyware servers that the spyware on their machine was sending
their DNS queries to.

David Gillett

On 23 Mar 2007 at 16:44, Peter wrote:

> I have found that a common cause of such failure is due to an incorrect DNS
> server setting. Open a command prompt window and type "ipconfig /all"
> without the quotes. This will display some information on your network
> configuration. In particular, you need to look at the value for the DNS
> server. Check the IP value for the DNS against what the ISP says it should
> be. If this is indeed wrong, then you will need to correct this in the wide
> area network configuration settings. I forget where it is in Win98, but we
> can look into that if you need help once you confirm this as being the
> problem.
>
> Peter

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>