Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Alan Miles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 22:49:09 -0800
        A recent article in PC World (3/98) on Win'95 specifies a swap file size
of approx 3 times the amount of RAM on the system. An example of 32Mb was
given in the article and suggested that a 100MB swap file would do it.
        You can specify your swap file size in spite of warnings MS built into the
dialog boxes. Open the control panel, open 'System'. Select the Performance
tab. Click the Virtual Memory button. Click the radio button that says "Let
me specify my own virtual memory settings." Set the min to 0Mb and the max
to 100Mb (more or less depending on the amount of RAM and how much room is
left on the HDD). You get a warning dialog box about not letting Windows
specify the swap file size. Click 'Yes' then 'Close' and you will need to
restart to make the changes stick.
        I saw another reply to this that said that the user hadn't experienced any
problems running low on HDD space but it sounds risky. You don't want to
get an "Out of memory" error and crash. A neat trick I read said to create
a partition that is the size of the swap file and move it to the new
partition. You can specify the drive letter while making the above changes.
                Happy computing,                ---Alan Miles

At 10:32 PM 2/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>How full can one get a hard drive before the Win95 swap file starts to
>give problems? The drive is a 1.33GB and there's 620MB free space on it
>now. It's a Toshiba 133MHz laptop with 32Mb RAM, running FAT32 with
>1,024 bytes in each allocation unit.
>
>TIA
>
>Jose

mailto:[log in to unmask]