Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Kelly Younger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:19:13 -0500
"John A. Haase" wrote:

> Greetings fellow listers,
>
> My current version of Netscape is 4.51.  I decided to install the update
> to 6.2.2, so went to CNET, or somewhere, and downloaded the executable
> file and that was all very lovely.

Netscape 6.2.2 is not an upgrade of 4.51. The latest version of the 4.x
series is 4.8.
(ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/4.8/windows/windows95_or_nt/complete_install/).
Later versions are complete re-writes, with 7.0 being the latest.
(http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download_other.jsp/)

> At this point it went back out somewhere, Netscape land I presume, and
> started to download some other files.  It went through five or six quite
> fast and then came some kind of error message to the effect that all the
> files didn't come across OK and it was going to try for those again.
> This happened four or five times and even though the message said 'some'
> I don't think any of them came across OK because the list never seemed
> to get any shorter.

If you tried "SmartUpdate", that has been known to be problematic,
though I'm not sure you can "SmartUpdate" from 4.51 to 6.2.2. If you
didn't try SmartUpdate, I haven't a clue as to what went wrong.

IMO, the latest browsers work fine, but mail and news are lacking and
not yet ready for general use. You can have both on your system and run
them simultaneously. If you want to try the new Netscape and you have
problems, go here for help. (http://www.ufaq.org/), which, if you don't
get an answer, links you to Netscape newsgroups. Those folks can solve
any problems.

Also, it *appears* that you are using a "branded" version of Netscape
from Compaq. If so, you can go to http://www.ufaq.org/downloads.html and
grab #5, the barebones .cfg file. Do a search for netscape.cfg on your
hard drive, re-name to netscapecfg.bak and replace it with the new
unzipped .cfg file. This will allow you to change preferences that are
"greyed out" in your version. Sorry for answering an unasked question
;-)

--
Kelly Younger

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: