Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Hal Trachtenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:47:38 -0700
On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 20:18:05 -0700, PCSOFT - Personal Computer software
discussion list wrote:

>  CONFIGURATION:
>  OS=Win98 (unsure if it is 1st or 2nd Ed)
>  RAM= >64MB
>  CPU= >/= PII
>  HD Free Space= > 1GB
>  ISP link = DSL - always "live"
>  Other than the DSL connection - system is not networked to any other
>  computers or devices
>  No printer (software) monitors - system uses an HP Laser Printer -
>  directly connected
>  AV Program = Symantec NAV 2000 - regularly updated
>  (Problem occurred b4 NAV2000 was installed - was running PC-Cillin - has
>  since been uninstalled)
>  System has Win98 Plus installed - using one of the Plus! themes
>  System cleaned up using Norton System Works 2000 - esp. Norton Utilities
>  and Clean Sweep
>  TSRs running are Clean Sweep, Norton Antivirus, and Zone Alarm (problem
>  existed b4 installing any of these utilities)
>
>  PROBLEM:
>  A User is experiencing an OS loss on his PC system after a period of
>  idle time (this is the only time the problem occurs).
>  User is away from the system for a while - when he returns, the Win98
>  desktop is gone - replaced by  the Real Mode screen and a blinking
>  cursor in the upper left hand corner.
>  Only way to recover is to reboot the system.
>  Problem still occurs when no screen saver is selected.
>
>  I've seen this before but haven't learned to date how the problem is
>  induced.
>  Would be very greatful for any feedback.
>
>  --
>
>  TIA
>  Chris Rivenbark

Yap, I know the feeling. It's the old black magic of Windows Power
Management. The user probably gts the Real Mode screen with the flashing
cursor when he/she tries to wake the computer up after it has gone into
Sleep/Standby Mode. I had this exact same problem and was battling with it
for 4 days. I finally solved the problem. Here's how I did it:
First, I removed all occurrences of LoadPowerProfile from my startup in
msconfig, then rebooted. I then attempted to put my system into standby and
wake it up after, it didn't respond, so I rebooted again until I got the
message saying that my system failed to resume from standby mode and if I
want to disallow it from entering into standby in the future, I answered
yes. This removed the standby option completely, from the Start/Shutdown
menu and from the Power Management setup. Next, in order to get the option
back I went into Control Panel/System/Device Manager. I opened the Floppy
Disk Controllers by clicking the + and highlighted the line that opened
under it and then removed it. Rebooted again. Windows put back the floppy
controller device. At the same time, this forces windows to reinstall the
power management. It has been working fine ever since.

Get 100% FREE email for life from Excite Canada
Visit http://mail.excite.ca

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html