Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 07:45:32 -0600
At 06:19 AM 6/2/99 , Elizabeth Boston wrote:
>Good Morning,
>        I have a reader with the following problem...
>
><<<I am very concerned about a problem we have. My daughter gave
>this boy her icq# at school, not realizing he was very strange
>and now somehow he has hacked into our computer and reads all her
>personal talk and who knows whatelse. We are new at the computer
>and really don't know how to stop him from doing this. She has
>tried to block him, but he still hacks. Any help?>>>
>
>        How does a computer novice stop someone from breaking into their
>computer in this manner?

It does not take any real skill  to crack into a system with the powerful
ICQ hack utilities available on the Internet today.   Based on what you
have said above, I would offer these options to your client:

1)   Drive over to this child's home and explain the problem to his parents,
      explaining what their child is doing is illegal
2)   Call the police and explain the situation, (any form of hacking is a felony)
3)   Stop using ICQ, remove it from the computer
4)  Visit the wonderful world of hackers, or pseudo-hackers/hacker wannabies
      to download "anti-ICQ-hack" utilities for the system:  You can begin at this
      URL  http://www.hack.cc/icq.html  ; they have some protection utilities to
      download

They should also spend some time at Mirabilis reading about firewall protection
for their system:  http://www.mirabilis.com/firewall/     They can set the application
to function with firewalls and protect their computer from unwanted intrusions.
This often will provide all the security they will need, but in saying that, every time
good security is built, someone will design a hack that makes it easy to move
through such security and distribute it on the Internet.  It then takes little or no
real knowledge to use the hack application to become an aggressor against others.

This is why I highly recommend confronting this boy child head on, since he
is only playing games, sitting in the dark of his room believing he is anonymous.
Stripping away his cloak of anominity will do more to stop the problem than
anything.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: