Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Ed Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:47:13 -0700
John . . .  Cross-linking was, according to my antique memory, quite a problem
in DOS days.  And I think even in COM and Comm64 times.  It's my
understanding it identified a case in which a particular byte was a part of two
distinct files.  This seems to make sense in that if one of those files were
copied to a different location (and it couldn't, after all, be copied to its own
initial location), then the initial instance could be destroyed.  Or ignored or
something similar.  Make sense?                 ---ed nelson

John Jacobson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I have a Maxtor 120G USB external hard drive I use with my XP operating system. It is a FAT32 file system and XP is NTFS.
I had just installed the drivers for the Maxtor and Dantz Retrospect. For a reason unrelated to that installation, I rebooted and checkdisk began to run and was checking the Maxtor drive. It found many files that were "crosslinked" in various sectors and the "problem" was resolved by copying. It seemed that at least the majority of files checkdisk referred to were personal image files.
Questions: What is crosslinking and what and where were things copied to? I find no duplicates of pictures on either the Maxtor or C: drives.

John Jacobson

http://freepctech.com/rode