Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Will Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:50:15 -0400
Hello!

The following is my understanding of the registry structure. I hope others
will quickly correct me if I falter in my explanations.

1. Regedit does indeed include all the data within the system.dat and the
(loaded) user.dat files. You will have a different regedit if you have
enabled multiple users on your computer (a different user.dat is included
depending on who logs on).

2. The difference in file sized is due to the fact that the exported file
(*.reg) is a text file; therefore, it is not in the same file format as the
*.dat files (which I assume store the data more efficiently). I do not
believe any other configuration files are included.

3. When you export the regedit from the My computer level, it creates the
*.reg file which is the complete and unsullied dat files from your computer.
Double clicking on the .reg file will restore the user.dat and system.dat
files. You are correct that a reboot must occur to actually have the
restored files in memory. You can copy the user.dat and system.dat files to
a different folder (or copy and rename them in the same /Windows folder to
system.old and user.old). Double clicking on copies of these files will not
restore them. You must rename them back to system.dat and user.dat and they
must be in the /Windows folder.

4. The two io.* files are used as beginning boot files. When you start the
computer, after the POST process, the file Msdos.sys is accessed (there is a
menu that you can get to appear by pressing (I believe) F8 just before the
windows splash screen comes up). This file "chooses" which operating system
to load: by default Windows 9x or real mode DOS (perhaps you have an old DOS
game you still enjoy playing or you need to be in DOS for diagnostic
purposes). If you choose the default route, io.sys is loaded which starts
chosen, io.sys is renamed to io.win(?) and io.dos is renamed to io.sys. This
file loads the real mode DOS operating system: the c:/> prompt. Do not
delete either file.

I hope this helps!

Will Stephenson
Call Center Manager