Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Harlen Linke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:31:41 -0500
At 08:16 PM 03/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>    I made the same deletion and got the same results.  I
>reinstalled advpack.dll and then successfully downloaded
>from Microsoft.
>    Although the name of the file suggests Advertising
>Package, it is required to download from Microsoft.

Hi everyone... interesting topic, to say the least. Seems there are many
people "spying" on our browsing habits, to what end... seems different in
each case. I've been reading Steve Gibson's writings on the subject, but
I'm not one to jump to conclusions and race out and delete every "evil
sounding" file on a system. Like cookies, these files may or may not be
useful to us, depending on who is using them and to what purpose. So far,
IMHO, I'm tending to dislike the practice, as it seems a little "sneaky" or
dishonest. Looking at my system, I have three of the files on the
previously mention list. advpack.dll seems to have been placed into
position by Wingate, so I'm a little hesitant on removing it at the moment.
Maybe, in MS's case, that's the price we all have to pay to be able to
download from the MS site. With the upcoming practice of "forced
registration" being implimented by uncle bill... it wouldn't surprise me
any. Before deleting every file that could possibly be a "SPY" package, I'm
going to make a copy for safe-keeping... and read as much about it as
possible. Keep up the discussion.... laters...

                                                        Harlen Linke

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html