Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jimmy DaPea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 19:12:59 EST
>I have a multi-part question regarding mp3 files. What I would like to do is
>take my own music CDs and turn some of the songs into mp3 files that could
>then be burned to a CDR for use on my computer. I have done a google search
>but am unclear if I can accomplish this feat. My theory is that if each mp3
>song is about 5 - 10 MB, I should be able to store ~60 to 120 songs on each
>CD. But the software I have seen all seems to want to convert the mp3 file
>back to a wav file to store on the CD. This would seem to contradict the
>reason the song was ripped from CD to mp3 conversion in the first place. So,
>here are the specific questions I hope to get some help and clarification:
>
>1 - Is is possible to store the mp3 on a CD and then play them on the
>computer?

Yes. However, the CD will not be seen as the usual "audio CD," like the kind
you may buy at Sam Goody or some store such as that. It will basically be a
Data CD, with mp3 files, which you can play with either Windows Media Player,
or Winamp, or Sonique, or Realplayer (there are many different programs out
to play mp3s, and I personally use winamp becuase it requires such little
memory compared to other popular programs).

>2 - If so, what software is required (Both to create the mp3 and to store to
>a cd)?

As with playing mp3 files, there are many programs out to convert Audio
tracks to mp3s, both free and some requiring you to pay a small fee. An
example of a program to covert audio tracks to mp3 format is <A HREF="http://download.com.com/3000-2140-10138504.html?tag=lst-4-2">CDex 1.5 Beta</A>
(http://download.com.com/3000-2140-10138504.html?tag=lst-4-2). Go to
download.com and search for LAME, the encoder/decoder for mp3s and WAV files.

To burn mp3s onto CD-Rs, you can use either Nero Burning ROM, or Easy CD
Creator.

>How many songs could I expect to store on a single CDR?

At 128 bits, 1 minute of playign time is approximately 1 mb. At a higher
bitrate, like 256, 2 MBs or more per minute of playing time.

-Jimmy DeLinco

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml