Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:31:12 -0400
On Monday 14 July 2003 06:35 pm, you wrote:
> At 08:44 AM 7/14/03 -0400, Carroll wrote:
> >  Can someone guide me through the process to remove it?
> >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Diane
> >
> >Diane:
> >First, remove the Linux partitions using a partition manager such as
> >Partition
> >Magic. Second, either create another Windows partition or expand your
> >present
> >partition in the reclaimed space. This can be also done with Partition
> >Magic,
> >although you could use Microsoft's fdisk. Finally, assuming you installed
> >the
> >boot loader, run fdisk /mbr to restore the master boot record and you
> >should
> >be good to go.
>
> Thanks, Carroll, but it looks like I need to backup a little, and
> ask for more help in this...
> I need to get the software Partition Magic just to uninstall
> something?  When I installed Mandrake (it was v.8.1), I let it
> do it's "Recommended" routine, according to the manual.  But,
> I can't find the uninstall procedure  :(
>
> How do I see where the entire OS is located?  I'm fairly familiar
> with Windows Explorer, and
> spend a lot of time figuring out stuff from there, so I was trying
> to see the linux OS in there somewhere...unsuccessful.  I also
> assume the boot loader was installed, as I get a linux GUI "choose
> your os" upon bootup.  I think I'm getting confused with the manual's
> statement that linux ignores the windows method of filing and naming,
> so then how would a windows system even show the linux files?
>
> So many questions, and the continuity of thoughts is nonexistent.
> Sorry.
>
> I would just so love to be able to see what's there before I
> blow myself up. (stuff never goes the way the books say)
>
> Thanks again,
> Diane

Diane:
One of the hassles of dual booting Windows and Linux is that Windows is unable
to recognize Linux partitions and filesystems. Luckily, Linux can access and
manipulate Windows FAT, FAT16 and FAT32 partitions and file systems.

I did some digging in my old 8.1 manual, and there is a way to uninstall Linux
from within Linux without using PartitionMagic. (Sorry, but I've always used
PM for these kinds of tasks.) Section 5.22 of the Mandrake Installation and
User Guide points you in the right direction. (You may not have this manual
if you bought the basic 3 CD version of Mandrake. If that is the case, let me
know and we'll work something out.)

But first, if you have some files in your Linux partitions that you wish to
save, copy them to your Windows partition while running Mandrake using one of
the file managers. Those files will be in the /home/username directory, or in
subdirectories below it. (Be sure to set the file manager to show hidden
files and directories -- Linux uses a period before the file or directory
name to denote that it is hidden.)

Next: Be sure that you have backed up your Windows stuff. (You only need
backups if you haven't made them.) Also, be sure that you have a good Win98
boot disk.

Open up the Mandrake Control Center, and select DiskDrake. (Warning: Any
changes that you select will not be made _until_ you press the Done button.
Once you do select Done, however, you've passed the point of no return.)
Highlight the various Linux partions (probably /, /home and /swap) and just
delete them.

Before you hit Done, you have a choice: You can have Mandrake create and
format a new FAT, FAT16 or FAT32 partition in the empty space (OK, now you
can press Done), or you can press Done now and use Microsoft's fdisk to do
the partitioning and formatting after you have rebooted.

Finally, run fdisk /mbr from your DOS boot disk to remove the boot loader.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml