Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 17:23:12 -0400
Original Message --
From: "Diane Whitehouse" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:22 PM
Subject: [PCSOFT] AdAware isn't working, any other anti spyware recommendations?

In spite of my best efforts, I am unable to successfully download/install the updates to my AdAware 1.06r1.  I've tried repeatedly but get "Definitions file is missing or corrupted" when I start the program.  Sigh.  I give up.

I do have/use Spybot Search and Destroy, but always found AdAware discovered many 'bugs' Spybot didn't......

--
Diane

@ @ @

Diane,

Ad-Aware 1.06r1 is still supported by Lavasoft with frequent definitions updates, but you must now manually download and install the update. Here's the link:

Lavasoft Ad-Aware Definition File Update:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/securitycenter/blog/?PHPSESSID=ff931955ddfc3080ff6c070b314b9e8a

I believe disabling the 'Auto-Update' function is Lavasoft's 'gentle' method of phasing out this version since they've developed two newer iterations of the program since v1.06r1 was released, and I expect that support for this older version will be discontinued 31 Dec 2008 if past precedent holds.

Like you I've found Ad-Aware to be the most capable of the various free-ware anti-spyware/malware apps, especially when it somes to removing the infrequent pest that somehow gets through the gate. I have five forensic anti-spyware programs at my disposal on my personal desktop PC including Spybot SD, eTrust PestPatrol, ewido 4.0 and Trend Micro Housecall 6.5 but favor Lavasoft's Ad-Aware as the most useful and trusted of the bunch. FWIW, I'm still using the same Ad-Aware version as you because it's capable and has a small footprint, and I plan to continue to doing so as long as it's supported.

HTH.

          ... jeff.

eom

                     visit our download web page at: