Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Tom Billiodeaux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:25:25 -0600
From: "M and L Hand"
Subject: [PCSOFT] new member with a question about sites popping up in
favorites

>Dear List,
>
>I asked The Computer Lady this, and she suggested I bring the question
>to you.  In the last week, I've noticed things showing up in my
>"favorites" bookmarks that I have not put there.  I am not pleased
>with what they are (sites that should be blocked!), but I'm hesitant
>to interrogate my teenage son as to his knowledge of them.  I've
>checked the blocking
>software's history file, and they don't seem to have been accessed
>until I tried the links to see what they were.  Is there some way for
>these places to insert their links on my computer without me knowing
>about it?  Did I pick up a virus somewhere that is doing this?  Or
>should I confront my son?  I really don't think he'd be so stupid as
>to find these places, then not hide them in a better spot!  They
>weren't even in a folder in the favorites file - just out in the open.
>
>I'd also be interested in knowing how to prevent this in the future,
>if it is something that is happening without human help.
>Hoping you have some sort of reply I'll be comfortable dealing with -
>
>Laurie Hand
----------------
Laurie,

Good topic Laurie, and I am sure many a parent has experienced this.
Alen Thompson gave you most valuable information and very complete.

I would only add that you can check 'history' files to see where on the net
one has been. Also the cookies will reveal this.

I recently went thru this with my 2 children.
I did immediately confront them inquiring how certain sites were recorded on
our pc.
I know they were trying to get free stuff and not really looking, but also
know that the peeks are hard to resist.

With that said, I also know that, as what Alen mentioned, unintentional
cookies will be placed everywhere and blame was not the intention.

I have forbidden anyone to visit Warez sites.
That seems to be the most likely sources.

We have all the firewall/protection setup, but that can be defeated.
I rely on trust by reminding my children who they are and what they want to
be and stand for (moral training).
Along with the promise of certain consequences and knowledge that violating
an agreement and trust brings.
(I may have taken another approach with younger children or different
personalities).

We all need accountability.
The software and hardware tools do help.

God Bless